Randomshirts.com

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Mashed Potatoes and Gravy...maybe

So we have the church Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday night. I decided to bring mashed potatoes. I will probably be peeling potatoes all afternoon because I bought the 10 lb. sack! I'm pretty confident in my mashed potato making abilities (can you really mess them up?) but I thought maybe I should take some gravy too. I am not really proficient in homemade gravy and being as I am not (praise the Lord!) cooking one of the turkeys I won't have any turkey juices or anything like that. I was going to buy some Turkey Gravy mixes at Wal-Mart but the McCormick was a $1 a packet and they didn't have any in the Great Value that said "Turkey Gravy." So I bought four packets of the GV "Country Gravy." Is this white gravy??? I have no idea if this is going to work. Also, I was going to put it in a Crock-Pot so it would stay warm. Anyone ever made Crock-Pot gravy? Or maybe you have an easy recipe for gravy that goes with turkey??? Anyone? Verla?? :)

4 comments:

one of nettie's girls said...

I feel so challenged now. My best advice would be to boil some chicken pieces to make a good chicken stock. Sprinkle the pieces with some poultry seasoning. You could even add some onions to the pot for more flavor. Take a small amount of the broth, maybe 1 1/2 to 2 cups, put it in a smaller pan and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, in another container (a jar or a bowl) whisk together 1 cup of cold water and 1/2 cup flour. When it is smooth, add slowly to the small pan of broth, whisking it until smooth and it begins to thicken. Pour this mixture into the larger pan of broth after heating it back up to a slow boil. Whisk your little heart out to combine it all into a smooth gravy. If it still seems too thin, make another little batch of the cold water and flour, adding a little at a time to thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste. You can keep it warm in a slow cooker. Just keep an eye on it so that it doesn't start to get crusty around the edges or get too thick. You might have a can of chicken broth on hand to thin it a little if you need to. I hope this helps a little. I confess that I am pretty brave about trying things and tend to make stuff up by trial and error. The worst that could happen would be that you have potatoes and no gravy. In that case, have some butter on hand. I hope this helps. I have a great recipe for crockpot mashed potatoes if you would like that.

Erin said...

Thanks for the camera idea--I appreciate it! I see we have a lot of the same people on our blog list--do you know the Kern family in Locust Grove?

Erin said...

Oh cool! Small world! ;)

Pleasant Living said...

gravy is so hard. I got nothin'.